Welcome to Episode #39 of Profiles in Franceformation. I’m your host Allison Grant Lounes and today I’m speaking with Steve Wilkison and his wife, Carole Richmond. Steve Wilkison is a web designer, writer and photographer who lives in Vence, France, with his wife Carole Richmond and their dog Myla. Originally from southern California, he first became enchanted with France when he backpacked throughout Europe at the age of 18. He fell in love with Vence the first time he saw it in 2007 while passing through one day on his bike. It only took him 12 years to talk Carole into moving there! He loves to explore France, especially Vence, the Alpes-Maritimes and the Côte d’Azur, be it by car, bike, or foot. On any given day, you might find him exploring a medieval perched village in the southern Alps, cycling along the Mediterranean coastline or hiking in the Mercantour National Park. He writes about his adventures and discoveries on their website Steve and Carole in Vence.
Carole Richmond grew up in Minneapolis, MN. And some more in Austin, TX. She’s also lived in San Marcos TX, Nashville TN and Glen Cove NY. Carole worked as a nurse and as an Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper at Dejadisc, E-Squared Records and The Americana Music Association. She loves cats, dogs, wildlife, music, books, the outdoors and Austin. It wasn’t her idea to move to France, but she’s making the most of it! Some days are better than others as she adjusts to life in a new country. If you need someone to talk to about the ups and downs of being an expat in France she’s a good listener.
In this episode, we learn…
- Why Steve wanted to move to France, and how he and Carole made the decision to turn that dream into a reality
- The process of obtaining their visas, first as Americans and then as British citizens
- Some of the obstacles they had to overcome in their first year of living in France
- How they integrated into their community of Vence in the south of France
- About their day to day life in Vence
- Their favorite places to visit in France
- A hilarious anecdote that involves a simple misunderstanding of two very similar sounding French words
- What Steve and Carole miss most about the US, but also what they’re looking forward to exploring in France and Europe
- Their advice to anyone wishing to move to France
Check out Steve and Carole’s website here: https://steveandcaroleinvence.com
If you are considering moving to France like Steve and Carole, Foolproof French Visas can help you navigate the path toward finding the right visa for you. It can be purchased here: http://www.yourfranceformation.com/books or in paperback on Amazon.
If you would like to pursue your own Franceformation, you can also request a free 30-minute clarity call with Allison to review your visa options and decide how to move toward creating your ideal life in France: http://www.yourfranceformation.com/free-call
If you liked this episode, please leave a positive review and be sure to subscribe so you won’t miss next week’s episode!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts. Subscribe on Spotify.